Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Does God Have Skype?

I've been trying to make some decisions about my future, namely whether or not I want/need to go to seminary this August. I've been accepted (I think) to the three schools I applied for, which is encouraging. But, like most people, I struggle with how I'm supposed to know exactly what God's plan for me is. I pray and try to concentrate on listening for an answer, but I usually feel like an old radio- mostly static and white noise with whispers of remembered conversations. It would be so much easier if I could get a burning bush like Moses, or even that still, small voice everyone talks about. Come to think of it, I might not want those after all; it seems like every time God speaks directly to someone in the Bible they have to do something difficult and scary. Maybe I should be glad I can't Skype with God.

I know that there are lots of different ways to figure out what God is trying to tell you. I have friends that hear from God in dreams, that have special prayer languages, that get flashes of who needs prayer at any given moment. I also have friends who work solely from logic, like Dr. Spock. So what's my method? I think I've figured it out. It involves both my intellect and my emotions, as well as other people. I have to be really uncertain for a while, researching and pondering and going over every option a dozen times. I have to listen to my heart and change my mind a lot. Eventually, I have to talk about it. With every person I know. Lots and lots of advice. As we discuss, inclinations begin to form.  Decisions will be made without me even realizing it. Things will pop out of my mouth that take me by surprise. "Congratulations on getting into Duke!" "Oh thanks, I'm not going there." The scale starts to slowly tip one way or the other. Finally the doors will close or open, and I will know what to do. Once it's decided, I'm sure. I don't have to think about it any more; I just say "thanks Lord!" and do it.

I'm getting past the pondering stage in my seminary discernment process. I'm obviously to the sudden decision stage- Duke was my first choice at one point, but now it's pretty much out of the running... apparently. I'm waiting to visit the other two schools in a couple of weeks and find out about the whole financial aid situation. Those are the doors that I need God to open or close for me. I'm confident He'll do it and that it will be the best situation for me. I can't wait to find out; I'm not a patient person. Maybe God will reveal his Skype name to me in my dreams tonight so I can satisfy my curiosity.

How does God speak to you?

2 comments:

  1. I let God speak to me by providing as few possibilities as possible for God to work with.

    Just kidding... although I really did only apply to one seminary - but I wanted to keep preaching in Alabama, so it made sense.

    Really, I think God speaks through those we love the most. Not always :) But usually. The rocks will cry out though if others don't glorify him. Hang in there. Half the Bible is people just waiting around for God to show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so long for the burning bush as well haha...though you're right I should be careful what I wish for. I like to think God speaks to me in little drops, rarely in giant storms. I think its most important to be receptive to anyone, whether it be friend, mentor, or stranger, who seems to have some advice

    ReplyDelete

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!