Thursday, July 8, 2010

I am strong! ...who knew?

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was some force that magically came into the world and endowed each person with special powers that will make him or her specifically equipped for a unique world-changing purpose? Well, good news - there is! His name is God (aka Jehovah, Yahweh, etc.), and he loves you so much that he has given you a special combination of strengths. These gifts, when used to the fullest, can make you happier and more productive in growing His kingdom here on earth. Isn't that sweet and brilliant of him?!
This summer I have been learning about and exploring my own strengths. The United Methodist Church has started using a test by Gallup to identify a person's strengths. I took the long assessment and was fascinated by the results! I wasn't very surprised by my top five strengths, but I have loved unpacking them and exploring what they will mean in my life and ministry.
My top five strengths are:
1. Positivity
2. Adaptability
3. Connectedness
4. Includer
5. Empathy

After the jump I talk a little more about my strengths. I also have a few questions you can answer about me that will help me use my strengths to their fullest!  (just click "read more" below)



I have been working with an amazingly sweet and impressive relative of mine, Kathleen Lalor of 4Discipleship Ministries in Nashville, to help me realize and utilize my strengths.

My number 1, Positivity, is pretty obvious when you meet me. When I told them that my top strength was positivity, several of my friends laughed and said "duh!" I have always been a happy person; I am just so grateful for everything and everyone I am blessed with that I can't be sad for long.
I blame my Adaptability skills on my childhood as a PK. You can't move around that much as a child and not be flexible. It is extremely valuable in my adult life too, because I can go with the flow and don't get as stressed as many people do.
Kathleen called Connectedness and Includer my "power pair" because they are so important in making relationships and showing love to others, my main mission in serving Jesus Christ by serving "the least of these."
Empathy is a really cool strength to have, in my humble opinion, because I can usually see multiple points of view in any situation. I have no problem walking in someone else's shoes. I am really bad at debate, though, because whenever anyone makes an argument, I say "oh, that's a good point!" It doesn't mean that I change my mind every time I hear a differing opinion, I just understand where they're coming from.

I am talking a whole lot about myself in this post. It's making me a little uncomfortable, but there is one more interesting thing I wanted to write about. When Kathleen was telling me about my strengths, she said that there are four categories that all of the strengths fall under. Apparently all five of my strengths are in the "relationship building" category. Kathleen was surprised by this. Apparently it is very unusual for all of a person's strengths to be in the same category. She has done thousands of these strength profiles and couldn't remember seeing one like mine. I'm not sure whether to be excited or worried that I am only good at one thing!
Now that I know my strengths and can recognize them at work in my life, I need to experiment and figure out which kinds of ministry will work best with my unique group of strengths. Here's where I need your help: where have you seen my strengths at work in our relationship, whatever it is? What kinds of things do you think I would be good at in ministry? I really value your opinions. I also encourage you to find out your unique bundle of strengths. When you use the gifts God has given you, you will feel happier and more fulfilled!

5 comments:

  1. I see you in counseling, perhaps with troubled youth. and i want this done!!! i think mine would look a lot like yours; I identify with your strengths :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I would love to know what my strengths are. I can definitely see your top being positivity! That is a great characteristic to have. Since I have known you, you have always been a positive, optimistic and encouraging person. This is so important in ministry and you are an inspiration!-Brittany Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thanks Emilie and Brittany!

    If you want to take the test, you have to buy a book that has the online code in it. The website is
    http://strengths.gallup.com/110659/Homepage.aspx

    Or, if you want the whole strengths discernment experience with Kathleen, go to her website at www.kblalor.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my Lovely Rachel K! I absolutely love your post. I totally agree with all of your strengths. I definitely see you with the youth, say middle school through even college. You've experienced so much in life and have so much to offer that any youth would be so incredibly lucky to have you helping to guide them on their journey with God. I love you so much and am so glad that you are so happy!! I can't wait to see you tomorrow and learn more!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVE- Kait ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a church staff person who connects new people to programs and groups that they would enjoy and need in the church (needs based evangelism), relate people to each other in small groups (holistic small groups), and identify giftedness in people and ask them to serve in that campacity (gift based ministry)?

    ReplyDelete

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!