Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It's My Birthday!

Today is my 25th birthday, and although I love birthdays, I'm freaking out a little bit! I'm halfway through my twenties; I've lived through a fourth of a century! I think I'm having a quarter-life crisis. I've seen and done some pretty awesome things in my 25 years, but I feel like there are a million more things I want to do before I get too old! So for my birthday this year, I am going to make a "30 before 30" list. Not that 30 is old, of course (oh em gee, 30 is so old); I just don't think I can come up with enough ideas to make a "40 before 40" list (and I don't want to think about ever turning 40). So here goes: thirty things I want to accomplish before I turn thirty - in no particular order.

Rachel's 30 Before 30 List!

(Click the dates to read about my accomplishments!)
  1. Ride in a hot air balloon  5/29/11
  2. Go to the Harry Potter theme park in Orlando
  3. Stay at a community house
  4. Meet someone famous 11/19/10
  5. Ride a two-wheeled motorized vehicle by myself
  6. Go back to Europe
  7. Go back to school (hopefully seminary)
  8. Claim a passion/purpose
  9. Learn enough about theology to know what I believe
  10. Permanently banish my fear of heights by going skydiving
  11. Work in an orphanage
  12. Be a foster mom
  13. Read the whole Bible
  14. Write a book, or at least start one
  15. Get 50 followers on my blog
  16. Have a whole conversation in a different language
  17. Lead someone to Christ
  18. Laugh so hard I cry (I needed at least one easy one) 11/04/10
  19. Climb a mountain
  20. Go cow-tipping
  21. Go geocaching in NYC
  22. Learn to discuss controversial issues without wanting to throw up
  23. Preach a sermon
  24. Be "slain in the Spirit" (I really want to know what that feels like!)
  25. Live somewhere besides Alabama
  26. Be in a play/musical
  27. Save someone's life
  28. Travel solo and enjoy it
  29. See the Northern Lights
  30. Edit: It was pointed out to me that I forgot #30. I really have no excuse for this, except that I must be getting old. I have decided to leave it blank, because there's bound to be something amazing happen in the next five years that I haven't thought of yet.
Obviously, there are some serious things and some lighthearted things on my list. Some huge life events, like get married and have a child, are not things that I want to consider a "goal" with a time constraint, so I didn't include them. Way too much pressure! The basic goals of life- make friends, grow closer to God, have a healthier lifestyle, etc. - are things that I will never stop working toward so they're not on there either. Many items on the list are connected to personal growth goals- #22 has to do with my self-esteem and #28 with independence, for example. Some relate to my spiritual life (#9, #17, #23), and others are just for fun! 

As I fulfill items on the list, I'll tell about it here on my blog. Thank goodness I have five whole years to work on it; it's a long list! I think this is going to be fun. Maybe being 25 isn't so bad after all!

9 comments:

  1. Rachel, for your list: #4 You can cross that off; no one more famous than Jesus and you know Him well; talk to me about #8, I'll show you something cool for that; and I'll help you with #15 now!
    You are so sweet and I have been blessed getting to know you. Travel well, sister! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel better, I couldn't discuss controversial issues at 25 either (and look at me now!). Grad school will cure you of that I promise! I also have traveled solo and enjoyed it...that didn't come until my mid 30's. So, you have some admirable and definitely achievable goals. Good luck and Happy Birthday and 40 is not old! ;-). I'm only 3 years away... Love, cousin Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can i pleeaaseee go cow tipping with you?! iits on my list too!!
    -Emma McCauley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the cow tipping. Milking a cow was number one on my list, which I got to do in Romania last year. There are plenty of cows out here. We'll make a night of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cow tipping!!! Also how do I follow your blog officially? I love you and I hope you're having a great birthday! Can I go with you when you go back to Europe? One of my goals is to leave the US.

    Ktbug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Rachel! 25 is awesome, enjoy it! I'm so not ready to be 30, i think i need to make a list of things (maybe not 30 since I'll only have a year) before I'm 30. I like lists and I like having something to work towards. See you Saturday woo hoo! -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is number 30 coming up with the 30th item for the list? -Peter L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh I only have 29!!! Peter, you are the only one who has noticed that! What happened to #30?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. #0. Meet a birthday twin :) Hope it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!