Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rachel of the Well

I've always felt an affinity with the story of Rachel from the Bible. It may have begun because we share the same name, but as I get older and start to wonder where my life is headed, I take comfort from her story. I can picture Rachel taking her father's sheep to the well to drink. She probably had no particular passion for watering sheep, but she did it every day because her father asked her to. One day as she was fulfilling the task her father gave her, she met a man that would change her life. His name was Jacob, and he fell in love with her immediately. After a very long courtship that involved lots of hard work and trickery, they finally got married and started their (huge) family.
What I take from this story is not really about meeting the perfect man (although I hope that will happen one day); instead, I choose to take it as a message of hope and encouragement. If I do what my Father asks of me, the opportunities that will change and enrich my life will find me. Rachel did her job, and she was rewarded. We all have to do what God asks of us, and we too will be fulfilled.
Rachel was lucky: her dad just came out and said "Rachel, go water the sheep," much like my earthly father tells me "Rachel, go get a job!" Hearing our heavenly Father's commands is a lot trickier. Does he want me to continue with the career path that my education and experience offers me, or should I be pursuing something completely different? And what should I do while I'm trying to figure it out? Obviously I am going to have to listen to my earthly father on the latter question.
Eventually -hopefully soon- I am going to discover what my Father has planned for me, and he will reward me and fulfill me. Until then I'll do what I can, like Rachel at the well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!