Thursday, December 16, 2010

Who Do You Like Better?

During my kids' worship service on the first Sunday of Advent, I was having a conversation with the kids about the first Christmas. Many of them did not know that Christmas is Jesus' birthday, but I wasn't really surprised. Many of their parents are regular churchgoers, and I have no doubt that they have taught their children the basic bible stories like that of the Nativity; however, these children are of the age that any talk of a little baby in a far off land a long time ago is overshadowed by the fact that they get lots of toys from Santa Claus every Christmas. Let's face it, they probably don't even like their baby brothers or sisters very much; why would they care about some little baby they don't know? I was impressed by the honesty of one little boy who said "Ms. Rachel, I just don't know who I like better: Santa or Jesus." To be honest, I totally get that (although once I pointed out that if Jesus had never been born we wouldn't have Christmas OR Santa, he changed his tune pretty quick). I don't blame their parents, the church, or even society as a whole for getting the whole message mixed up. It's a natural human tendency to hold on to the material things, those things we can touch, smell, see, buy, sell, hoard. Spirituality is a need that most count second to the physical requirements of life. And to a child, a toy is a physical requirement, at least in our culture. So if this baby they've never met less important than a magical man with elvish friends who make toys, it's understandable. Understandable, but not irreversible.

Here's where we come in. The only way that our children (I say "our" not as a parent but as someone who cares deeply about children, as a group and individually) will learn the true meaning of Christmas is if we, as adults, show them and tell them what this whole shindig is all about. Show them that loving and giving is more important than receiving. Tell them about your relationship with Jesus Christ and how he has made a difference in your life. They're just kids; they're not going to figure it out on their own. I know this seems obvious, but I think we've forgotten part of it. I, too, get caught up in the hubbub of presents and cookies and holiday traffic, and before I realize it, I have lost my focus.

That's why I like Advent Conspiracy so much. It opens up so many opportunities for acts of service, relational giving, and conversations about important things. If you haven't checked it out yet, do it. It can change Christmas for you and your family, and maybe it will change the world in the process.

1 comment:

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!