Friday, April 3, 2009

Sadness...

One of my very best friends called me this morning to tell me that her dad passed away of a heart attack last night. All I could think to say is I'm sorry and I'll be praying. What else can you say that will mean anything? When this same thing happened to another best friend a couple of years ago, I felt like I didn't know how to be a good friend in that situation. I don't know if I'm any better prepared to give comfort now than I was back then. In the face of incredible sadness, what can a friend do besides give as much love as possible?

Another thing that is bothering me about this is that I was awake praying around the time that my friend got the call from her mom. I know there isn't really any way I could have known, but I wish I had had some sort of hunch to pray specifically for the McGlawns. If I was talking to God already, couldn't he have put a thought in my head to pray for them? I don't know if it would have done any good, but it would have made me feel better. At least I can pray now.

During that time of prayer, I read Psalm 130. It seems to fit now.

Let all that I am praise the Lord;
with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name.
Let all that I am praise the Lord;
may I never forget the good things he does for me.
He forgives all my sins
and heals all my diseases.
He redeems me from death
and crowns me with love and tender mercies.
He fills my life with good things.
My youth is renewed like the eagle’s!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!