Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Let the Blessings... Begin!

Permit me to make a joyful noise for a little while...

Today was Ash Wednesday, which is supposed to be a somber day in the Christian calendar. It's the first day of Lent, which is the 40 days leading up to Easter. I was all set to be serious today in preparation for my Lent promises (see entry below), but apparently God had other plans. I have barely started on my goal to get closer to God by putting Him first, and already I find myself being blessed! No one big event stands out from today as especially divine, but there were so many little things that added up to a totally God-filled day!

I started out the day with an appointment with my doctor in Hartselle. I have been discouraged for the past few years by my attempts to lead a healthier lifestyle and conquer some health problems that I have. I went to the doctor to check-up on my health and do some blood work. In addition I got a "pep talk," and I walked out of his office feeling hopeful and remembering that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" I drove straight to my dad's church so that we could go eat lunch together before I headed back to Birmingham. I got to go eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant, Las Vias!

At the restaurant we ran into a church member (it's really inevitable) and her husband. I had never met her before, but as soon as my dad introduced us she gave me the biggest hug and told me she was thrilled to meet me! If that doesn't make you feel good, then you need some Prozac! As we talked to her, we found out that her grandchildren go to the same "mother's day out" program where I work in Birmingham! As we exclaimed over the coincidence, her husband and my dad stood off to the side and discussed hunting. Every once in a while my new friend would look over and whisper to me "I'm just so happy! He refuses to come to church with me, but I know God is working in this moment!" We all talked for a while and then went our separate ways, and later I found out that she had been really sick, and it is a miracle that she is even alive! I felt so lucky to meet her and get to talk with her today, and I hope that the encounter will help bring her husband to the Lord.

As I was walking to the car I thought about the blessings I had already received today. Apparently God wasn't done with me yet! I opened the door to my dad's car and let out a squeal! There on the front passenger seat was my iPod that I thought was lost! I know this sounds materialistic of me, but I was soooo excited to have it back! I jumped up and down and did a little jig! My dad later told my mom that I acted just like a little kid. Dad pointed out to me that this was God working because I hate exercising without my ipod, and that is one of the things I have to do to fix the aforementioned health problems! It may be sort of a silly blessing, but it's a blessing nonetheless!

Whew! I told you today was a full one, and I'm not even done yet! After lunch I went back to the church with Dad. At the church, I got to talk with a friend who gave me some really good insights about how to find my calling. Then I went for a walk on the track to use my beloved ipod! I went home and had a very uplifting conversation with a new friend :-) and then I left for Birmingham.
I attended the Ash Wednesday service with my aunt. Then I was able to speak to the pastor who influenced me so much last Sunday (see the last post) and tell her how much her sermon meant to me. Lastly, I took a Prayer Walk that the youth of the church had set up. It was a very meaningful time. I got to walk through the last few weeks of Jesus' life and apply the lessons to my own faith journey. It was a wonderful way to end Ash Wednesday.

Sorry this post is so long. I have been blessed already this Lenten season, and I pray that God continues to bless you and touch you with His love. Here are the lyrics to a hymn we sang in church tonight.

Lord, who throughout these forty days,
For us did fast and pray,
Teach us with you to mourn our sins,
And close by you to stay

And you with Satan did contend,
And did the victory win,
O give us strength in you to fight,
In you to conquer sin.

As you did hunger bear and thirst,
So teach us, gracious Lord,
To die to self, and chiefly live
By your most holy word.

And through these days of penitence,
And through thy Passion-tide,
Yea, evermore, in life and death,
Jesus! with us abide.

Abide with us so that this life
Of suffering overpast,
An Easter of unending joy
We may attain at last!

Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent that you are writing a blog. Thank you for sharing your inspirations.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!