Wednesday, October 3, 2012

In Which I Out Myself, Politically Speaking

I was hanging out on Facebook tonight, as I do a lot these days, when I saw a Facebook post from my next door neighbor. She told a story about her daughter asking a political question on the difference between Democrats and Republicans. I appreciated her answer; even though she identifies with one party in particular, she tried very hard to be objective in her explanation. She compared Democrats to Robin Hood and Republicans to Willy Wonka. Although obviously she had to simplify the finer points of politics for her young daughter, I thought it was an interesting analogy, especially considering how much I love both literary characters. Then there was a comment from one of my neighbor's Facebook friends, whom I have never met:
The problem with the analogy is that Robin Hood thought he was helping the poor. Democrats know their policies keep people poor and dependent on government.
I taught my five year old that Democrats are Communists that are trying to steal our house, and they want to destroy America. More simply, I said Democrats are bad guys and Republicans are good guys.
 I choked. As I said before, this man does not know me. Yet here he is, painting me and every person who disagrees with him politically in a negative light to his young daughter. Yes, that's right. I vote Democrat, pretty much every time. For some reason, during the time that I worked in a church setting I was afraid to talk about politics, afraid that someone was going to argue with me or stop liking me. It was juvenile, but obviously it's a valid concern, judging by the above comment.

Let's assume that this man is a Christian. I think it's a pretty good assumption considering that he is a Republican in Alabama. If that man's little girl ever happens to come to a church where I am teaching Sunday School, or takes a mission trip to some organization that I will hopefully be working for some day, she will probably like me. I like to laugh and have fun, I am encouraging, and I care about people. I also love Jesus with my whole heart. Say we start talking. I mention something like the fact that I visited Washington DC for President Obama's inauguration and had an amazing time, or that my husband is a minister. She will probably start to feel uncomfortable and confused. After all, hasn't her daddy always told her that Democrats are bad guys? Does this lady who cares so much about the mission of Jesus Christ really want to steal her house from her? Hopefully, she will have enough common sense and compassion to realize that I do not want to destroy America, I just want to help Americans in any way that I can. If that means voting Democrat, well then, I'll just do that.

I really wanted to post a scathing response to this man's comment. Something about punching his face. But when the red haze in my eyes subsided, I decided to do something else.
I prayed for him.
I prayed that someone he meets will show him that not all Democrats are bad and out to destroy America.
I prayed that he would have a better day than he apparently had today.
I prayed blessings on his family.

I may post this as a response on Facebook, or I may not. Whatever I do, I hope that anyone who reads this thinks about the effect their words have, and about how to build respect and community in our lives instead of tearing it down.

Now I'm off to cheer for President Obama. May God bless you today and always.

1 comment:

  1. The Home Remedies website lists several other home treatments they claim will" reduce cellulitis blood poisoning"
    by breaking it up from within and attacking its appearance from the outside.
    The Diet Solution Toxin Run Down: What Causes cellulitis blood
    poisoning?

    Feel free to surf to my web blog :: cellulitis prognosis

    ReplyDelete

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!