Friday, October 21, 2011

Borrowed Bibles

I don't always understand people, even (especially) Christians. My collar is not as hot as it was earlier tonight, but the questions persist. Sometimes I want to borrow other people's Bibles, just to see if they're reading the same book as I am.


I mean, I know that we all get stuck in our ways but-
How can I hear Jesus say "go and make disciples of all the nations," but then I hear some people say "We don't need any more people in this church?"


I know that there are different ways to interpret scripture, but-
How do I read "love your neighbor as yourself" and some people read "let's make it impossible for an entire group of people to succeed so they'll go back to where they came from?"


I know that there is a separation between church and state, but-
How do I read Matthew 5, the part where Jesus tears down the "eye for an eye" rule in favor of peace, forgiveness and generosity, and some people read "how about we let our government kill people as punishment?"

I know that there's more to life than money, but-
How do I quote "whatever you do to the least of these, you do to Me," and others quote "God helps those who help themselves" (which is not even in the Bible, btw)?

I know that the mob mentality is a powerful force, but- 
How do I read about God perfectly forming each of us in the womb, and some people hate anyone who is different from their perception of what is right, accepted, and normal?

Usually empathy is one of my strengths, and I can at least get a glimpse of another point of view. Tonight I'm just not feeling it. Come talk to me tomorrow, and we'll take a look at that wonderful book together.





scripture references: Matthew 28:16-20, Matthew 22:36-40, Matthew 5:38-42, Matthew 25:31-46, Psalm 139:13-17. Can you tell I love Matthew's gospel?

1 comment:

  1. May your collar stay hot . . .

    well said, or written. Probably both, I suspect.

    bb

    ReplyDelete

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!