Sunday, August 29, 2010

An "Almost Christian"

I just read a sermon by John Wesley that tells about the difference between an "almost Christian" and an "altogether Christian." You can read it too, here, or you can just read my summary. Well, really you don't have to do either, but it might be interesting so what do you have to lose?
According to Wesley, almost Christians have some things in common. I'm paraphrasing, of course.
1. They have moral standards that fit with the culture
2. They have the outside appearance of being a godly person; for example, they go to church, tithe, help the poor, volunteer at church, don't drink, smoke, cuss, gamble, or have sex outside marriage. In other words, they do all of those things that people associate with being a "good Christian."
3. They are sincere. They actually think that they are good Christians because they do all of the things that they are supposed to, that the Bible tells us to do.

Now, this person appears on the outside to be a good Christian. What is the difference between him and someone that Wesley would call an altogether Christian? Well, it's not something that you or I can see from the outside. It's an inner quality that is totally between the person and God.
An altogether Christian:
1. Loves God
2. Loves people
3. Has faith that God loves us and forgives us of our sins

This may seem like a small difference on the outside, but in a person's heart this means everything. These three things are what separates an "almost Christian" from an "altogether Christian." Do you know which one you are? In your heart of hearts, do you have this love and faith inside you, guiding your every move? If you don't, then you are not really who you claim to be. I wonder how many almost Christians we see in our churches every day? Only God knows.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a serious post for me. I think I was writing it more to myself than to anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great post! We miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel,

    I was reading this sermon and Wesley's "New Birth" sermon in the book The Holy Spirit And Power, which we were using in a small group study, when I had a life changing experience with the Holy Spirit! It is a great book and your post reminded me of that unforgettable time in my life. God bless you!

    Joey Palmer

    ReplyDelete

Make sure and remember to write your name when you comment so I know who you are!